Places to Visit in Tyne and Wear
Tyne and Wear is a great county to visit. Located in the north-east of England it has beautiful coastlines, lovely rural areas and bustling cities to choose from. Many visitors particularly like to visit places such as:
- Angel of the North - this Antony Gormley sculpture in Gateshead is held to be the landmark that welcomes people to the area. It is 66 feet high with a wingspan of over 170 feet.
- Baltic Centre - the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art stands in Gateshead close to the Millennium Bridge.
- Beamish Museum - this is one of the most popular museums in the area. Located close to Gateshead it gives the visitor a glimpse of life in the region in days gone past.
- Bede's World - this museum on Jarrow is dedicated to the Venerable Bede and to the Anglo Saxon settlers of the region.
- Bowes Railway - Bowes Railway in Sunderland gives visitors the chance to see the only operational standard gauge working railway in the world.
- Discovery Museum - based in Newcastle this museum specialises in science and local history.
- Gateshead Heritage @ St Mary's - Gateshead Council's first heritage centre will open to the public on Tueday 16 December. Our opening hours will be Tues - Sun 10am.4pm
- Hadrian's Wall - Hadrian's Wall was originally built as a defence against invasion from the north by the Romans. Parts of the wall still stand and this is a popular walk in Tyne and Wear.
- Hancock Museum - this Newcastle based museum is dedicated to natural history.
- Metro Centre - the Metro Centre shopping centre is the largest shopping centre in the UK and a must for any visitor who likes to shop!
- St James's Park - football fans may well enjoy a visit to the home of Newcastle United.
- Segedunum Fort - based in Wallsend this is a Roman fort where visitors can see remains, reconstructions and excavations. The site also has a museum.
- The Stadium of Light - this is the home of Sunderland football club.
- Tyne Bridge - the Tyne Bridge is a significant symbol for Newcastle. It stands over the river Tyne linking Newcastle and Gateshead.
- Tynemouth - the town of Tynemouth is a popular seaside destination for both locals and visitors alike. It is also the home of Tynemouth Castle.
- Wildlife and Wetlands Trust Washington - this nature reserve in Washington offers visitors the chance to see various bird species.